Saturday, March 03, 2007

Shades of Blue

I have been feeling blue lately, thanks in part to Project Spectrum. From a perfect sky to the dark ocean to a fuzzy, soft yarn... I'm enjoying it all.

Yesterday, I headed to San Jose with my husband on business (his). So of course, I had to pack a few things. I may have been a little overly ambitious, but a girl can never be too prepared.

I have been able to accomplish very little car knitting since moving to California. There always seems to be something new and beautiful to see, even if you are driving on the interstate. Yesterday was no exception, so I simply enjoyed the drive.

Once we arrived, I was on my own. So after wandering around for a while and deciding there wasn't much to see, I pulled out my knitting. I had started a simple garter stitch scarf on the drive out west, and that was what I decided to work on.

The yarn is a lovely, soft faux-mohair that is somewhat difficult to work with. I had originally planned on doing something more interesting with it, but after swatching a few different ideas it seemed best to switch to something super simple. This is the first time I've made a garter stitch scarf, believe it or not. My mom taught me both knit and purl stitches right away, so I did a lot of stockinette when I first learned to knit. I have a number of curly scarves to show for it.

When Joel's second meeting ended I was left with only a few yards to go. I was a little sad to pack it away when I was so close, but that may give me the motivation to finally finish it.

I also packed the sweater I have been working on, but it never made it out of the bag.

I finished the body the night before, so I'm ready to start the sleeves. I'd hoped to make it a little longer, but I'm worried about running out of yarn. I'm really happy with how this is turning out. I even like the mis-matchy stripe effect. My goal is to finish this in the next week, so I can move on to something else. Maybe something that has been sitting around for a while.

No comments: