Monday, August 25, 2008

Back to School Time

I've been out of school for more years than I care to admit, but I still seem to measure the days by semesters and school vacations. If only I still had that many days off... Anyway, I've always considered September 1 to be the start of fall, even if there are still have a few more weeks of summer to go.

I can't say that I'm sad summer is ending. Maybe if I lived in a sunnier locale, but I'm looking forward to the sun and warmer weather that I hope fall will bring here. Here in San Francisco, summer is a great time to get out of town--we live in the foggiest part of town. Who wouldn't want to exchange this...


for this?


Another way I've been trying to enjoy summer is by making lots of trips to the farmer's market. We have been living on sandwiches of heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, pesto and local bread this summer. I'm definitely not ready for that to end.

I've also been making lots of jam. It started out innocently enough with a batch of freezer jam made with strawberries fresh from the farmer's market. Soon however, I'd made way more jam than two people can reasonably eat.

White Peach, Raspberry-Peach, Strawberry-Blackbery, and Strawberry
(Just a sampling, the rest is in the freezer.)

If you haven't made it before, freezer jam is so easy and so delicious. I used the recipe that came with the box of pectin. You need to use a scary amount of sugar though--just a warning.

I've also been knitting, believe it or not. Not wanting to finish any projects anytime soon (ha!), I cast on for yet another sweater. I just couldn't help myself. This one is moving fast though, and I'm already done with the front.


I'm in love with cables right now.


It's the Cabled Mini Jumper from Knit.1 (Fall 2007). I've had my eye on this pattern for a while now, and just couldn't resist anymore. Wish me luck in finishing this before something else catches my eye!

4 comments:

Beatriz said...

I could totally see you wearing that in San Frisco, it'll go perfect with a long sleeve shirt and keeping you warm only where you need it most. It's a really stylish jumper. I'd knit one in a heartbeat if I had the right shape!

a friend to knit with said...

oh! i so remember those summers.
and how a trip to napa made the world of difference in a mood...........but i still long for foggy days! :)

love the jumper! so so cute.

i made jam this summer too..........i was shocked at the amount of sugar! my kids (and i) LOVE it though!

amanda said...

I totally hear you....I think of fall when I see the kiddies getting on and off the school bus this week. Your front of the jumper looks really cute - seems like a good knit for your climate. Happy fall!

Sabrina Hirsch said...

Oh I love fog, what a great photo too! and that jumper, so darn cute! Your jam reminded me I might have to make some this summer before it is too late!