Thursday, January 25, 2007

At Long Last

This purse has been sitting around, 95% complete, for months now. All that was left to do was to finish one of the straps, and then connect the two together.

When I saw this recycled silk yarn on sale at a local yarn shop, I knew I had to try it. I had seen a pattern calling for it, and it looked fun. It was an enjoyable project, but by the time I got to that last strap, I had lost interest.

For one thing, the yarn is difficult to knit with. It is very beautiful and has an almost oily feel, but there is no give. Also, this is a little too hippy for me--I probably should have considered that before starting. The yarn also sheds like crazy. I'm still finding little bits of fiber in the strangest place, not to mention all over many of the knitting projects that have shared the same knitting bag with this purse.

Last week I rediscovered it. The finished bag is very pretty, so I am happy with how it turned out--finally. I overlapped the two straps, instead of grafting the stitches as the pattern called for, and attached a vintage button to the top. I'm not sure what, if anything, this will be used for since it is very floppy, but it feels good to cross it off my list.

No comments: