I'll start with some wine tasting. This is one of our favorite things to do when the weather is nice here. So a few weekends ago, we headed up to Napa Valley. It was the first time I'd been to Napa--we usually go to Sonoma, which is closer.
Joel recently finished The House of Mondavi, and he had to see it all for himself. First we headed to Robert Mondavi Winery. The wine was OK, but the grounds were beautiful.
The Mondavis are quite the drama and scandal ridden family. Joel had fun telling me stories from the book as we walked around.
Next we headed to Charles Krug Winery, which is still owned by a member of the Mondavi family and is where the Mondavi family rift started. No pictures here, but we enjoyed the wine and the man who poured for us was great. He had lots of information and stories to share, along with a little Mondavi family gossip.
On our way home we made our final stop at Domaine Carneros Winery, for a champagne and cheese tasting. The grounds and winery were both very beautiful, and we enjoyed the sunny patio.
I think I could spend every weekend this way! I enjoyed Napa a lot--it definitely has a different feel than Sonoma, which I think is a little more laid back. There was a lot more traffic, too!
We also spent a little time in the Bay on a big sailboat.
Passing under the Bay BridgeI'm not really sure I'm the sailing type. It was a little terrifying at times, and I didn't have the most confidence in the crew (for some of whom it seemed to be their first day on the job). Plus, I'd mentioned the trip to my boss, who is a nurse, beforehand and the first thing she mentioned was all the boating accidents she's seen. That really didn't help!
It was really cold and windy. At one point, I was wearing 3 mismatched handknits--a hat, scarf, and Joel's mitts--which I stole. I definitely broke the don't wear more than one handknit at a time rule, plus a few fashion rules, too.

This was before I broke out all the knits. Also before I got a face full of water (notice that I'm already wet). Good times!
It was really cold and windy. At one point, I was wearing 3 mismatched handknits--a hat, scarf, and Joel's mitts--which I stole. I definitely broke the don't wear more than one handknit at a time rule, plus a few fashion rules, too.

This was before I broke out all the knits. Also before I got a face full of water (notice that I'm already wet). Good times!

The night ended with fireworks, which was really the reason for the trip. As you can see, it was a little foggy. All in all, it was a good experience, but I'm not sure I'll rush back out anytime soon!
Last week we had another heat wave in San Francisco, so we headed to the park for a picnic on Saturday.


We enjoyed some wine, cheese and other snacks, talked and listened to music. Very fun and relaxing. The day ended when the fog started rolling in. You can always tell the weather is about to change in San Francisco, when the fog starts rolling over the tree tops.

I've even done a little knitting. I finished up one of my Swirly O socks. Now I just need to start the second one.
I also started a new project--the soy cardi. It's almost finished. I just need to buy some buttons and add the button bands and collar. The buttons are holding me up though, as I need to determine how many buttonholes to make.
That's about it. We have family visiting from Wisconsin for about a week, starting tomorrow. I'm really excited to see them, and I'm also looking forward to a three day weekend--starting now. I hope you have a great weekend, too!

5 comments:
What a great post! Awesome pictures, great knitted goods and great stories! Thanks for sharing!
I am envious of your sailing trip! Sailing is one of my favorite things that I get to do only rarely.
oh, love everything that you have been up to.
i will have to check to see if you put those photos on flickr. i love the bridge shot. and the chuck/flower shot!
Looks like you've been having fun!! Hope you enjoy you time with family.
if i didn't already live in california, it would be torture to look at those photos! i am glad you guys look like you've been having so much fun. let's hang out soon!
xoxo
Post a Comment