Monday, May 07, 2007

Slow Going

For a while there, I felt like I was turning out completed projects left and right. But now that I have a job again, I remember why I didn't get as much knitting done before. It's not really that I have less time, although that is true. It's more like a lack of motivation--my inner couch potato is returning--and a bit of knitter's ennui.

I know this won't last, but lately I have been more interested in thinking about knitting than actually picking up needles. I've been going through my books, and I picked up a couple new ones, too.


I have been eyeing both of these books for a while, and I finally gave in and bought them. The first, domiknitrix, is a really interesting book visually. Each page is like a little piece of art. It has lots of instruction and not just the basics, so it will make a good reference.

1. The Slink, 2. Swizzle Vest, 3. Bob Dobbs Vest, 4. City Coat

Some of the patterns are a little crazy, but there are some good ones, too. My favorite is the City Coat. Joel wants me to make him the Bob Dobbs vest, but I want to make sure he'll actually wear it before investing hours in it.

1. Rowena Cardigan, 2. Pimlico Shrug, 3. Peapod Cardigan, 4. Luxe Neck Warmer, 5. House Slippers, 6. Baby Cape

Knit 2 Together is the other book, and Tracy Ullman is a co-author. I find it really interesting that she is a knitter, and it sounds like she really knows what she's doing, too. This book has so many cute patterns--above are just a few of my favorites. I really love the Rowena and Pea Pod Cardigans. I even like the slippers, and normally I think knitted slippers are tacky.

Now I just need to take Tracey's advice to, "Go Home!! Go home! And knit."

5 comments:

Elizabeth Carls said...

It seems like I often feel like I'd rather browse the knitting books than actually knit. I love the Domiknitrix book, a great reference, with a no-nonsense style I like. Knit2Together is still on my wishlist.

sophanne said...

While I also hate swatching when there's a project at hand, I found myself in a similar situation of ennui. I decided to dedicate my tv time to swatches instead of a project. I blocked one last night and started another. The blocked one renewed my faith in the power of blocking and swatching. The quick change in swatch projects kept me from getting bored. Feeling like I've already done the hard part and am ahead of the game, I'm letting my subconscious absorb the swatches and figure out the next project. I don't know whether this will work or not ut at least for now I feel like I'm doing something productive, learning about new stitch options, and not committing to another obsessive compulsive disaster!

a friend to knit with said...

That Domiknitrix book looks so interesting! Thanks for sharing!
I too want to get the Knit2together!

Tracey should tell me "now get off of the computer and knit"!!! :)

Sabrina Hirsch said...

My favorites are the pea pod and rowena cardigan too, I am thinking I may need to knit the pea pod next!

Anonymous said...

hey ginnie. it's erin. i am a compulsive snooper and loving you for using the word wonky. and loving my brother for wanting the bob dobbs vest. can't you just make two?! ttfn~ erin